I absolutely love this race and think it is so cool that they put it on each year. It has become a tradition to run it every year with my sister and this year Amber was making the big jump from the 5K to the 10K. I was really excited for her and yesterdays race was all about her.
After my failed run Sat I had quite low expectations for my own performance. I just wanted to have fun and run at a pace comfortable enough as to not aggravate my feet. The 10K course is really hard in my opinion and I am very happy with how I ran. The start was a little chaotic as Carina and I were kind of stuck in the middle of the pack and I may have started my watch late because I had no real idea the race was starting. But my watch measured 6.11 mi at 38:58 (6:22 pace), official time may have me over 39 I am not really sure. Splits were: 6:13, 6:30, 7:02, 6:28, 6:11, 5:55, 5:46. <----pretty good example of terrible pacing but that hill+headwind at mile 3 really was hard!
Highlights of the race/day:
- Finally meeting Carina in person! So fun to warm up/cool down and chat with her a bit. What an incredible women and runner she is.
- My angel JulieC showing up on the bike at mile 2.5 and riding with me for a lot of the race. I was not talking back as much as usual but I was loving her stories. :)
- Meeting Brandon's little boy who totally rocked the 5k and then coached his little brother through the 1 miler. What a little stud!
- Getting beat by a 15 year old! That kid was legit.....every time I surged close to him he would surge harder. Sheesh I was totally impressed.
- Seeing my Dad at mi 6 marker and yelling at me to pick it up and beat the kid! I was trying....
- My sister absolutely rocking the race. She ran 55:28 and surged so hard at the end Carina, Spence, and I could barely keep up. It was really really exciting and the greatest part about it is she loved it and now wants to do a half marathon.
It was really just a great day and seeing so many of my friends and having my family there at the race.....it was just perfect. I know I am completely cheesy but I just really love running. This race was good to pull me out of my funk and put things into perspective.